Sunday, June 12, 2011

My first PRIDE got rained out

So last Saturday I was all excited. I was going to go to my first ever PRIDE event in Burlington. I was even going to be a volunteer. It was a full day, festival in the park type event. I got there an hour early to help set up. At that stage it was drizzling slightly. We dashed back and forth helping vendors set up tents and making signage. We had a few mishaps with water seeping through the gap between two awnings, but remained hopeful.

And then....the light drizzle suddenly escalated into a full fledge downpour. That wouldn’t have been so bad – we could have waited it out – if it hadn’t been accompanied by gusting winds and seriously shocking lighting. Wow! I have never been outside in a storm like that. Our flimsy shelters were no match for its fury. After a few pathetic attempts to hold down tents and rescue merchandise, we abandoned the field and fled to a nearby library.

A flurry of discussions over how to cancel the artists and what to do with the food ensued as we realized that our only option was to cancel the event. So disappointing.

And so my very first PRIDE ever ended in less than an hour and left me soaked to the skin.

This week is Hamilton PRIDE with lots of events hosted by a variety of different organizations. Check out this website for more info. I’ll probably check out a few. But then I think I’m gonna have to go to Toronto just for the experience of it. Will it be something I go to every year? Probably not. But it’s a rite of passage this baby dyke must undertake...just to say I did.

No comments: